Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Every Rescued Dog Has A Tale by Deborah Eades

I met Debbie Eades a few years ago when I was working in the Emergency Room at Christ Hospital. She worked there as well, sitting at the front desk of the ER, the first person that the patients saw. She was funny and easy to talk to. I quickly learned of her love for animals, something that we share, as well as a birthday (separated by a number of years). I left the hospital after I finished grad school, but I keep in touch with my birthday buddy through Facebook, where I heard about her book, which can be purchased here, here, here and at Joseph-Beth for my Cincinnati friends. All profits go directly to help rural animal shelters and dog rescues around the country so that more dogs will have a happy ending.

Debbie has reached the point in her life where she could quit working, prop up her feet, and do nothing all day. But anyone who has been around Debbie for more than a second or two knows that that is not going to happen any time soon. Instead, she is putting her energy to good use, literally making the world a better place. Every weekend, all over the country, dogs are being rescued from certain death in kill shelters and then driven by dedicated animals lovers to a new life in another state. Debbie is one of those dedicated drivers. Actually, she prefers it when her husband is the driver, so she can be the dedicated comforter. This book is a collection of Debbie's stories from years spent on the Dog Rescue Railroad. Her stories are funny and touching, supplemented with pictures of the doggies she has met and helped along the way.

Each story focuses on a specific trip and usually on one dog, unless Debbie happened to be rescuing more than one that day. My only real complaint about this book is that the stories are not long enough. Most of them could have been filled out more. Also, I would have loved to have had a little more about Debbie, such as where her love for animals came from, and more about her getting involved in the Rescue Railroad. But those are minor complaints. Overall, the book was thoroughly enjoyable.

http://everyrescueddog.homestead.com

5 comments:

Brent Waggoner said...

Going to the shelter is depressing. I wish I had the space/money to take home a couple dogs each time.

Debbie Eades said...

Actually the good part about TRANSPORTING is that you don't have to actually go into a shelter to help. Someone pulls the dog from the shelter and sets up a route for the dog to travel on to his new home. You get to meet new people and hand the dog over to the next driver, much like a relay race. And it is ALL happy endings and no sadness since you know you were part of actually SAVING that dog from the gas chamber. Go to YAHOO GROUPS and look up "dog transport" if you want to join.

Brent Waggoner said...

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I'm also considering doing the pet foster care thing, where you take in animals and help them get over illnesses. I really like dogs, and, if my dog will make peace with them, cats as well.

Debbie Eades said...

That's wonderful! I would love to be a foster but we have an 11 year old wiener dog who HATES other dogs so we are stuck just driving them for now:) Someday I will be a foster. That helps the shelters so much if they get socialized and increases their chance for adoption. Good Luck and THANKS!

Brent Waggoner said...

I'm very interested in reading your book. I'm strapped right now but it's going on my "interested" list.